Pages

Monday 11 April 2011

Quilt for a computer geek - top finished!

Here is the top for Felix's 21st birthday quilt finished (well almost, see below). I posted about the initial idea here. It is based on a computer colour tool.
This has got to be one of the easiest quilts I have ever made. Once I had tracked down the wonderful Kona Solid Charm Packs (from Simply Solids) it was plain sailing.
It was a lovely day yesterday when this photo was taken, and the way the sun was shining through the squares made it look really irredescent and pretty. But it doesn't really show you the colours accurately, in reality they do blend a lot better and aren't quite so 'bleached', but you get the idea.

Do you see the top row? It is going to be a representation of a classic Apple Mac window, it is missing the 5 horiziontal lines joining the 2 buttons which I am going to re-create with thick quilting. There has been a lot of debate in the household about whether those lines should be pieced, appliqued or quitled to get the most realistic look (honestly, it's been like an episode of the Big Bang Theory!).
Also, there is a space in the top right hand corner where I am going to piece and applique a 'rainbow apple logo', like this...
This isn't at all accurate but Jonathan assured me Felix would think it was cool and wouldn't mind. We have always been a family of committed Apple Mac fans (well not me, I couldn't care less what computer I am on as long as I can find pretty things on the internet!), so that's why this top line has caused such deliberation and nearly held me up from finishing *sigh*.

Here is the back. I am rubbish at backs, so I am quite pleased with this. I have lots of left over charms so this was again very easy. In fact I can't wait to make something else with the left over charms! They are so yummy, and having all this colour around is so inspiring. In fact I actually think working on this quilt top has been like having a sort of colour therapy session, it just makes you feel so good to see so much colour!
 
I used some of the left over squares to make my April Tag Square Bee block. This one is going to Juliana (Jednoiglec) in Poland, she asked for reds, oranges and purples. This design was also inlfuenced by this amazing doll quilt.

I have the quilt all basted (by hand) and ready to quilt. I am going to hand quilt but am not completely sure what to do. I have thought about using coloured perle on the white sashing, but not sure how to mix the colours and I don't want to just use one colour all over. I was going to do minimal quilting on the actual coloured squares as I don't want to detract from the colours. If I use a neutral shade it may show up too much on the darker squares and vice versa if I use a darker one - aarggh!! Any advice or ideas would be gratefully accepted!
Next Saturday I have Lynz (Domestic Light and Magic) and Julie (Forest Poppy) coming to mine for a bit of a hand quilting workshop! Plus lunch and a wee jaunt through the delights of Linlithgow (not 1, but 2 fabric shops!!), so if you lot haven't come up with anything by then I will just brainstorm with those two!!

17 comments:

  1. Love the Geek's quilt! I am sure he will gets lots of enjoyment and pleasure from his gift. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this. This is great inspiration for my computer geek fiance. Thanks, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Jo!:) We are PC people...only because we can't afford a MAC. But our son saved up and has one so I totally see it!:)

    What if you just use some lovely black perle cotton...full thickness...and quilt nice big stitches in the black around every square. That would really look cool on the back. Then just use some opal/pearlie sort of color to go around the outside of the whole thing several times.

    I'm so jealous of your outing with Lynz....hugs to both of you!:)ox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no!! Come on internet peeps, I suck at quilting ideas, my brain will implode if Jo storms it! *g* That is - without a doubt - the coolest quilt top I have ever seen. Smarta....*coughs*......clever clogs. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Such an original idea, can't wait to see the apple on there too! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, I don't think he'll like it. I don't mind if you want to pop it in with my tape measure bags!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is the best top I simply love it and love it even more knowing it will be a MAC top quilt ::)) I'm a MAC girl through and through - macbook pro, ipad, iphone, apple tv, .mac email, ipod .. .. .. guess who I used to work for LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very very lovely, a beautifull idea, kiss
    Ale

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fab! What a great quilt, computer geek or not! Bet he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow. this is amazing. I have so many solids and just can't decide what to do with them, so I guess I'll have to try something like this. it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's fantastic Jo and such a clever clever idea. I can't imagine trying to brainstorm like that in our house.....John frequently refers to my sewing as knitting (and a few days ago he informed me that his mum wanted a sewing bag for her birthday, I queried him on this as I gave her a sewing box a few years ago - when I checked with Enid herself she'd asked for a kitting bag which made much more sense!).
    Um, quilting, not really sure. Think the black around the black makes sense tho'. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! everyone else has said EVERYTHING but just want to add my admiration to a simply gorgeously stunning quilt. I am sure I would not be able to give it away!
    Val xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic top. I agtee with whoever said black on the black, though it's murder on the eyes to do! I have made several small wall hangings on the same lines but using those tiny 1" sample packs that Cotton Patch used to do. I had the same dilemma about quilting, and in the end I went for a bright rainbow variegated thread, but on yours that would spoil the illusion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is amazing! May I ask which Kona charm packs you used? And how many? I count 81 main squares. I presume every one is a different colour. I like the idea of the black on black quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very very cool! I'm sure Felix will love it! I'm agreeing with the black perle thread too. Looking forward to seeing this one quilted. What are you going to bind it with??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this so much, such an awesome idea and I'm sure the recipient will love it! =)

    ReplyDelete