Pages

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Dress a girl around the world!

You may have heard about this appeal for pretty dresses as there is a fair bit of activity around it on blogland at the moment. It is a wonderful idea, so if you haven't heard about it yet I hope I can inspire you to join in.

The charity is called Dress a girl around the world and their slogan is "imagine a world where every girl owned at least one dress". Well as soon as I read that I knew I was in. What a wonderful idea!

The amazing Louise of Sew Scrumptious blog is aiming to get 100 dresses made in the UK which she will send out to the charity. She already has 50!! So now she has 2 more...
I bought this very pretty fun fabric at one of my local fabric shops (only £5 a metre and it is 100% cotton!). There is a wonderful tutorial with a printable pattern here on Little Big Girl Studio. She gives 2 different versions of the dress, one that uses bias binding and elastic at the neck...
And one that has a contrasting band and where you make your own bias tape. As I had bought the fabric in 2 colourways I thought I would make both. The tutorial was excellent, and they took me around an hour each, and were great fun to do! The reason they are called pillowcase dresses is that you could make them out of an old pillowcase (that is how much fabric you roughly need). As I have boys I didn't have any suitable old pillowcases and I liked the idea of making something completely new for a little girl who has probably only ever had hand-me-downs.
I would love to think that some of my lovely readers felt inspired enough to make 1 (or more!) pillowcase dresses for Louise's heroic effort. Take a look at her original post here. And all my international readers, take a look at the charity website, I bet somebody is organising something in your area.
Here's to a 100 pretty dresses from the UK!!

8 comments:

  1. Great cause Jo - these are realy sweet dresses........I won't promise to make one but will file the idea in my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh they're lovely! And what a great cause, it's true every girl needs at least one pretty dress. It's good to know you're going to make at least two girls smile for an entire day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo your dresses are gorgeous! I made one of these for my daughter last summer and she loves it. I've just been to the Sew Scrumptious blog and offered to make a couple for her. Thanks for blogging about it - such a great cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These dresses are simply gorgeous - I made my first ever pillowcase dress for Tsunami this summer and yes they are super easy and fun to make.
    100 dresses from the UK what a kind loving thought - bloggers are very generous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thanks so much for making such beautiful dresses and for spreading the word. I have already had a couple of offers of dresses following your post. I love bloggers! I will email you my address. Can't wait to see the dresses - the fabric is so pretty. Thanks again! Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry just realised you already have my address!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dresses are lovely! Fun prints I know some special little girls are going to love them! :)

    I'm a big fan of Dress A Girl and have sewn many a dress due to their inspiration! I love seeing others jumping in on this great outreach too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lovely dresses arrived today! Thank you so much. Have emailed you and hope to have photos on my blog later! x

    ReplyDelete