Pages

Wednesday 26 October 2011

Fish, leaves and better times ahead

Well, I have had quite a month and so apologies again for being so quiet. My problems have all been work related and as I want this blog to remain a calm, happy oasis for me (and hopefully for you), I don't really want to go in to too much detail here. For anyone who is at all interested, take a look over at our new website for an explanation. For everyone else, just rest assured that things are very much improved in my life now and Jonathan and I are feeling very positive about the future.
Now on to some crafty stuff!

I first made these wee scrappy fish last Summer. I made a whole bunch of them and sold them in the shop in strings of four. I had almost forgotten about them until a customer came in and begged me to make some more.
They are a little fiddly (especially the stuffing!), but use up quite small scraps and are really lovely to look at in a big pile!
And it was about a year ago now that I first made these Leaf Keyrings. I had been making a batch of Leaf Needlecases and just couldn't stop making leaves.
I have a huge stash of lovely furnishing fabrics which aren't really suitable for quilts. I love the rich colours and textures and this is a lovely way of utilising them.
Again, they have sold well in the shop so I made a new batch for Christmas last week. They are backed with felt and sewn on the machine, then I just add a few veins with perle 8 cotton.
Here they are hanging from one of our Scot's Pine in the Autumn sunshine. 
It has been very therapeutic working on these small, but beautiful objects.

I just wanted to mention a couple more things. The wonderful Laughing Hens website, where I bought all my Rooster wool before I started stocking it in my own shop (bwahaha!), has started selling fabrics. They have a really nice selection of Tanya Whelan, Kaffe and Amy Butler fabrics, amongst others. I have been particularly lusting after the Blue Hill Fabrics 'Feedsack' range. Nicki Trench, one of the owners and the author of some of my favourite crochet books, is working on a quilt book which will be published next year - exciting!

And one more thing, Sarah, my erstwhile partner in crime at the shop, has started her own blog. Called Bexydress, Sarah has been busy making pillowcase dresses and lovely ribbon brooches that she wants to share with the world. Pop over and say hello if you get a moment.
 
And I will see you very soon, I promise.
Linking in today with the fabby Our Creative Space - so much inspiration here!

22 comments:

  1. Your little fish are just darling and I agree making small things can be quite therapeutic - especially when watching tense rugby world cup finals!

    so good to see you back in blogsphere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fish are brilliant! Keep smiling xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those fish and the leaves are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fish are hilarious! I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jo, I'm so sorry you went through that. So glad things are looking up for you again :o)

    Love those fish, and the leaves are a great idea too. I'm going to see if there's still a space in your owl pyjama case class come payday on Monday :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my Leaf Keyring! I can't lose my keys in my bag anymore lol. Those little fishies would make a great mobile to hanng above a cot! They are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those little fish are adorable, and love the leaves also!! :o)
    xo
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those fish are utterly brilliant! no wonder they make you happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fish and the leaves are gorgeous! I am sure your classes and craft section in the shop will go from strength to strength as they are both unique and beautiful! Onwards and upwards (was that Winnie the Pooh who said that?) and the very best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Jo, you've been having a time of it, aintcha? I hope that's the end of your excitements and you can both concentrate on your fab business and enjoy some boring but bountiful times ahead!

    P.S. I couldn't choose between those fish or the leaves - they are both adorable. HOW do you have the patience?!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the fish and the leaves. Now off to stalk the shop and Bexydress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fishes are irresistible! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think a bunch of those fish hanging in a kitchen would make the space seem a bit European and like home. Lovely burst of color.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you've made it through the storm - hope it only gets better & better for you now!

    I do love those little fish! They just make me smile & smile. How big/little are they?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore your little skinny fishies! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your little fish. VERY good luck with Avery Homestore. I do hope life settles down a bit and you have more breathing space. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through a difficult time. I wish you all the best for the future of your re-launched venture. The little fish are such a unique idea!
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the fish and the leaves - such great ideas! Sorry you've had a tough time - keep smiling and good luck for the future x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Squee! Those fish are A-dorable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow - such cute fish and leaves! LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete