Pages

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Scrappy pin cushion swap

Introducing the 'Fairytale Cottage Pincushion'!
This is my entry for the Scrappy Pincushion Swap, another Flickr group with a lot of the same lovely people from the Doll Quilt Swap. It has been a nice quick fun swap.
I decided to make a little patchwork house, and, of course, for me that means a proper working door with something behind it! So here is the Princess who lives in the cottage. She is cut from the 'princess in the pea' fabric by Heather Ross. I had a bit of trouble with fraying at the bottom of the door frame, hence the slightly untidy 'darning' there.
But the inside of the door can also be used as a mini needlecase!
Here is the back. A tiny matryoshka doll is peeping out of the upstairs window. I had a lovely time embroidering the 'creepers' on the sides of the house. It was very easy, just backstitch and tons of french knots. I must try to do more embroidery as I really enjoy it but I need more practice.
Here is the front again. Can you see the little owl who is upstairs too? He is from my favourite Alexander Henry fabric. And the little bird sitting on the (very bulgy) chimney? The bird is a hand made Fimo pin I bought from the quilt show on Sunday.
Let's not dwell too much on how these 3 came to live together (princess, owl, babushka). It's an odd house share but we musn't judge... Actually it would make a great sit-com!
Here is the full package going off in the mail today to....
This is another secret swap so my partner doesn't know this is for her and I don't know who is making one for me. I am just sending a few small pieces of fabric and some really cute fruit fabric paper clips that just arrived in the shop this week. We have been encouraged not to send too many extras in this swap. And as the pin cushions have all been so amazing (check out the Flickr group pool, you will be so inspired), the pincushions themselves are more than enough booty!

12 comments:

  1. *sew* cute! I'm so glad I found your blog. I love it! I have you on my sidebar now. Niki in AZ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jo, what a little treasure: how inspiring!
    I would love to live in such a happy place!
    FA*BU*LOUS!
    Lucky the girl who gets this!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pincushion is stunning Jo, so much detail x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is utterly adorable. I love all of the little details, something interesting everywhere you look.
    I'm sure the recipient will be over the moon.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is totally adorable Jo - did the inspiration come from a pattern?
    WOW WOW WOW wish I was receiving this - but alas because I didn't sign up for this round I won't be. Your swap partner is very lucky to be receiving all these extras as well.
    I too am an owl lover xxx
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cottage is very cute and I would definitely watch that sit-com!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was one of my favorites from the group! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish this was coming my way--it is just fabulous! Puts mine to shame. Love that the door is for needles, too clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a lovely pincushion. It is even more than that, I could see little girls playing with it as if it were some kind of doll house! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just gorgeous! Love all the details you've added! Looks like a lovely package for your secret partner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful house! I love always houses and this is really lovely! Great idea to put needles inside the door!
    Wishes Teje

    ReplyDelete