Pages

Thursday 23 June 2011

English paper piecing anyone?

Mmmm... yummy, yummy! Here I am at Liberty of London last Saturday. Looking at all the gorgeous Kaffe and Amy Butler fabric. I was down for my neice's Hen Do, and staying for an extra day with my best friend, Liz.
Here's Liz looking quite excited about the wool Sale! Yes, I timed things just right, as Liberty's are having a SALE!!
Lovely wool... But I had arrived with one task in mind, so I managed not to be diverted by cut price wool, and headed over to the Liberty fabric Sale table...
Here we are. Look at all those whole metre pieces of Tana Lawn for only £11.95 each!!! I had some birthday money to spend and so I chose 6 pieces. I had come specifically to buy some more Liberty fabric, so I was so pleased to get a good deal! And maybe even enough to share with my dear readers at some point in the future (that's got your attention, hasn't it?!). I had a nice chat with that blonde lady, who is a fellow quilter, and may be reading this now *waves!*
Here's my sister Jane inspecting the Liberty shirts (unfortunately not reduced), Jane was down for the Hen do as well.
My purchases secured, we had a lovely lunch at the cafe in the Mamas and Papas shop on Regent Street. Not an obvious place to go, but it was quiet and the food was lovely and reasonably priced. I thought I would include this as a useful tip for anybody else visiting Liberty.
And then it was time for Legally Blonde the Musical followed by some Karaoke! It was as fun and exhausting as it sounds!!
And here are my beautiful 1 metre Tana Lawn pieces. Aren't they stunning?
I have acquired quite a collection of Liberty fabrics over the years (none of which I have paid full price for I am happy to say!). A couple of local dress fabric shops often have designs for sale for around £13 a metre and I always buy them when I see them. The last time I was playing with organising my fabrics I pulled all the Liberty ones out together and put them in a shoe box. Here they are all tipped out again.
They looked so good together that I decided to make a quilt just with these. I also decided it should be a paper pieced project as something about the delicate quality of these fabrics lends themselves to some hand sewing. And when I say 'paper pieced' I mean the traditional method for making a hexagon quilt by tacking fabric around paper templates and sewing together (often called English paper piecing), as opposed to foundation piecing using paper which, confusedly, also seems to get called paper piecing these days!
But it wasn't until I saw this quilt that I knew which design I would make. 
At this point I hoped to feature a photo of the actual quilt and asker Summerfetelove's permission, however I think she is on holiday at present and so hasn't got back to me. Please click on the link and have a look at it - you won't regret it!
I love this quilt so much! I love that it is still a hexagon quilt, but with stars in the middle! And they are actually all diamonds. It reminds me of my African Flower Blanket. 
So, when I have cleared a bit of a backlog I am going to get started. It will be a very long project, something that I can pick up and put down over the months. Something portable that I can take on train journeys or on trips away from home.
So does anybody fancy accompanying me on this long journey? I am not really suggesting a QAL as this will be too drawn out a process, though I would be happy to do an initial tutorial. But we could get a little group together, and then we can inspire and support each other. And SHARE our lovely quilt progress!
Let me know what you think...

21 comments:

  1. Oh those fabrics are gorgeous! Sounds like a lovely day all round. I love EPP and haven't done any in a while - count me in! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. wish I could go shopping. that fabric wall looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it too much of a co-inky-dink that we commented on each others blogs at the exact same moment???

    ReplyDelete
  4. the fabrics are beautiful but I have to ask, what is a HenDo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, what IS a Hen Do? Lovely lovely fabrics. And I LOVE that inspiration quilt. Can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if only I had a stash of Liberty like yours I would so join you!
    It's going to be a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is what a bride has before she gets married – maybe you call it a wedding shower? But here the bride-to-be organizes a fun night out, or possibly a weekend away or even a whole week! My niece has had 4 hen dos!! A weekend away with friends, the family one that I went to, a work one and another one – she is so greedy! The groom gets one too, but they are called stag nights – often involving a week in Prague, or somewhere else with lots of brothels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun time you must have had in London. Your liberty fabrics are gorgeous and that quilt design is too - it will be beautiful made up in Liberty.......but quite a lot of work. You are much too patient! Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drool - I love that pattern. (I used it for a mug rug last time I joined the swap) I've wanted to make an English Paper Pieced Liberty quilt since forever. Only my Liberty stash is miniscule. I could prob managed a mug rug at the moment - ok a 'BIG' mugrug ;-)

    I regret that Liberty messed up their running a few years back causing the demise of their regional stores. I loved going to the one in the High Street, Oxford.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I was there too! Lovely fabrics! Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a ball - lucky you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I remember visiting Liberty's way back in the 70s- beautiful shop.
    Love that quilt but don't think I could tackle proper paper piecing in a hundred years......

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, you did very well in the sale. Some Liberty pieces caught my eye in Mandors recently and I had near heart failure at the price. I decided I didn't need it *that* much lol Mind you, it is coming up to bonus time at work...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know one of my mega excitements about coming over to Europe 2012 *woot woot woot* is going to Liberty - LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh those are lovely! and you're right, they deserve special treatment - that quilt is beautiful I've been looking for a hand project to take with me on vacation, and I think I know what it will now be! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh Jo I can only dream of visiting the liberty shop on London, lovely to see it through your eyes. Great little stash you found. I have a stack of liberty pieces now and would love to join you with your paper pieced starry hexagons!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I checked out that quilt-it looks great! I find EPP very relaxing. I belong to a craft forum here in Australia and we swap hexagon flowers on a regular basis. One day I will have enough for a quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jo, have just stumbled onto your lovely blog. Love your Liberty collection - I have a "little" bit stashed away that needs a good sort and stack (mine looks like your "tipped out" photo!). How lucky to get yours from Liberty itself - and on sale!! Have fun with your hexagon stars. Meredithe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi I am back and have emailed you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh that looks wonderful Jo - I have my summer holiday coming up and will definitely be paper piecing my way through that - I'l flickrmail you a link to the quilt inspiring me for this - you'll drool.

    ReplyDelete