Pages

Tuesday 16 November 2010

Sleepy Owl Pyjama Case

Brrr! It's getting cold at night now, and at the end of the day all I want to do is climb into my jim-jams and curl up on the sofa with a bit of hand sewing or crocheting. But the next morning my pyjamas are just lying around on the bed! Now I am not a particularly tidy person (you just have to take a peek in to my sewing room to see that!), but I do like to make my bed in the morning and leave the room looking lovely for when I come home from work. After all it is my sanctuary. But my pyjamas are making it look untidy.
And then I realised what I needed was a pyjama case! I remember my sister, Jane, had a beautiful cuddly rabbit pyjama case called 'Honey-bunny'. Do you remember Honey-bunny Jane? I really coverted that pyjama case, but it belonged to Jane and not me (sigh). So this weekend I decided to make my own pyjama case.
Introducing my 'Sleepy Owl'! Isn't he sweet? I made him from some Moda flannels I bought in a fat quarter pack from the Scottish Quilt Show that Lynz and I went to in September. I didn't know what I would do with them when I bought them, I just loved them, especially that circle one on his tummy. I think they have worked really well for this project, making Sleepy Owl so soft and cuddly.
It was a doddle to make. I machined the eyes and tummy onto the front shape, and then blanket stitched afterward and hand sewed the beak. The wings are made from my first attempt at 'felting' an old jumper in the washing machine. It was one I had knitted myself years ago and it has come out really lovely and thick, so all I needed to do was cut the wing shape out (of what was the sleeve!) and insert into the seam. The colour matches perfectly too.
The back just has a pillowcase opening for pyjama insertion or removal.
I know it looks like I am violating the poor owl, but he doesn't mind, honest!
I had left my camera at work so I had to ask a favour of my photographer husband. Luckily he thought Sleepy Owl was dead cute too and even took him outside for a proper 'shoot'!. I love the photos he took in the tree and on this fence post. Thanks Jonathan!

15 comments:

  1. Totally cute Jo! You should put any offspring in the shop! Like the professional shoot and he looks sooo at home in the tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!;) We have those cottons in our shop but not in flannel, I love them. Great idea about the wings. Me thinks this may became a shop item, yes?:) Or at least wee stuff owl siblings for the shop!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's great. I have been thinking recently that it's about time pyjama cases made a come-back and it's one of the many many things on my to-do list. Funny how often other people are thinking along the same lines. I'm sure he'd sell well. juliex

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is totally gorgeous! And as much as I loved your husband shots I was busy trying to peer at the quilting on your hexie bed quilt which is also gorgeous!
    The kids just received Owl pillows for their beds from Lynda (Hooking with LaaLaa) and the thought of pj cases went through my head too :)
    As long as macarame owls don't make a come back and stay in the museum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh... I want one of these! I'm thinking a bunny.... you're pj case is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, isn't he just the cutest!! And I totally recognised that flannel - it IS gorgeous! Did I tell you my Mum and her friend are coming to the show on Thursday? I knew she got tickets for something absolutely aaages ago - this was it! She's taken down your shop name so she knows what to look for. So don't be surprised if a wee brown haired woman with specs says hi!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it - especially the sleepy eyes - gorgeous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! i love all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your sleepy little owl! What a great idea for a pyjama case.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I remember 'honey bunny' I even have a photo of her lying on the bed.

    A pyjama case would be redundant in our household though! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, what beautiful things and what beautiful photos — Patricia had told me how wonderful the things that you make are, and it's all true, you are so prolific it puts me to shame! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Googled and saw your owl which is exactly what I am looking for as my daughter goes into her first bed this week. Please make to sell!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute owl. I think it would make a great present for our granddaughter. Just what I have been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. do you offer a pattern for this owl PJ pillow?

    ReplyDelete