Pages

Saturday 4 June 2011

look who just got back!

Some of you may remember how sad I was when my eldest son, Felix, went away travelling back in September last year. I moaned on and on about it here.
Well last night he finally returned!
And this is what he looked like when we picked him up from the airport. Yes he really is wearing an orange skirt and bare feet! He came all the way from Delhi dressed like this (via Heathrow!).
Beside him is his girlfriend Emma and (far left) her sister Laura, who they met up with in India a month or so ago. Laura has been away travelling for nearly TWO YEARS! There was quite a tearful reunion when her mum and dad got there, as you can imagine!
Sorry about the rubbish photo, I was too excited and amazed to think about photos, but luckily Jonathan got this on his phone. I think he must have been a bit shaky with emotion though (or was it laughter?!).
Anyway, we are just so happy to have him home safe and sound! He has been to India, Sri Lanka, China, Tibet and Nepal. Wow!
Oh and he has a tattoo! It is tucked under his forearm so it's a bit secret, and he also designed it himself and it is very personal and spiritual. India and the Far East has certainly had a big effect on Felix, he has come back laden with books about yoga and spirituality, as well as little statues of Indian gods, and ideas about building a meditation hut in the garden!

The rest of his luggage was full of lots of presents for the whole family (he is a very generous boy). I got this beautiful pouch full of goodies...
A massive bag of shisha mirrors (I will have to show you all how to embroider these now!), 4 little peacocks, a ball of multi-coloured recycled silk, some gorgeous braid, an inlaid box made of real silver, and a whole bag of little painted wooden birds!
When Felix returned briefly at Christmas, he brought me a box with about 10 of these brightly painted birds, and I used 2 of them to make 'parrot pin toppers' for the pirate treasure chest pincushion in the Scrappy Pincushion Swap. Now I have a whole bag of them! With one tiny stowaway tiger (can you spot him?)! Oooh I am getting lots of ideas for these! Thank you Felix!

As I am writing this, Felix and his dad are busy stringing Tibetan prayer flags through the trees here at Shangri-la Farm. 
It definitely feels like Felix has brought quite a bit of the East back with him!

16 comments:

  1. Fab birds, you are lucky and relieved to have him back safe I'm sure. I found the tiger, or tegan tiger as they are at ours, my little girl (tegan) says she is a tiger! Do get pics of the flags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely goodies you got. It must be great to have him back home! I love that he wants to build a meditation hut in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot even bear the thought of my girls leaving home some day. You have been so brave. And how nice for you to have Felix home again. Enjoy his company along with the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that's just brought a tear to my eye. Make the most of him. Remember they're only on loan. You've given him the confidence to be an individual and a good one at that!
    Felix, welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how lovely to have your son back! Looking forward to a wee tute on embroidered mirrors. Enjoy having your big boy around again! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a delightful weekend you will all have - catching up, sharing and of course tears - but now tears of joy - blessed be and enjoy the reunion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home safe and sound, that's all you can wish for - I know the heartache my sister and I caused our parents with our wandering ways; he will treasure the memories and the support you've given him always. And if he's that good at present buying, send him off again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post, welcome back Felix, and congratulations on excellent gift purchases! (but don't worry, my blog name isn't just for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We can really feel your happiness that Felix is home through your words. It sounds like he had a wonderful trip! it's lovely that he's brought home ,not just the thoughtful gifts, but the plans to meditate and a sense of spirituality.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your precious family time - my friend Liz has her daughter home, temporarily, from India at the moment so I think I can guess how you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome home Felix xxx
    I LOVE the fact he is hanging flags in the garden with his Dad - and I LOVE the fact he turned up with a orange skirt :) go Felix xxx you rock having such FAB parents xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that he's back safe and sound. The birdies are so sweet.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay - this makes me smile just to read. You and Jonathan must be so happy to have him back and it sounds like he's making his mark around the place already! His presents are beautiful too. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  14. What wonderful presents Felix brought back, he knows you so well, each one is perfect for you. I am quite overcome with his love for you! You are so blessed to have two such amazing sons. The skirt and bare feet will go down well walking down Linlithgow High Street.xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to see that your son is again at home safe and sound! What a wonderful trip!! The wooden birds are wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds and looks like Felix has had a wonderful time and what beautiful goodies he's bought home for you. Makes me want to go travelling again.

    ReplyDelete