Pages

Sunday 21 August 2011

My First Class

I thought you might like to see some photos of my first class (seeing as you have all been so sweet and encouraging about my new venture).

I had 4 students (2 of whom were my friends!) so it was a nice gentle start. There were a few teething problems but they didn't seem to spoil the fun too much.
Look how busy they all are! All 4 students were lovely, really friendly and nice, but they all worked so hard and concentrated for 5 hours! By 4pm we were all exhausted!
Here I am showing Sarah something (actually this was totally staged for a photo, hence our giggles!).
And at the end of the day they each (almost) finished their cushions! Just a bit of hand quilting to finish at home. Aren't they pretty?
Rebecca used a range of textures and this fresh and pretty, pink and green palette. The flowery pink fabric was from a pair of her daughter's baby trousers, and she plans to use the cushion in her daughter's room.
I was very impressed with Donna's neat hand stitching, and though there was a lot of cursing from her corner of the room (!), I think this cushion might be my favourite of the four!
Sue bought this fabric years ago and had never got round to using it. I love the dramatic contrast she got with the light and dark, it really shows off the log cabin design. Sue needs to find a slightly bigger pad for this cushion though!
I had bought a big pile of fabrics that I thought I could spare in case students didn't bring enough of their own. Sarah chose fabrics from this pile and created a cushion with this wonderful vintage feel. I didn't think I liked these fabrics much anymore, but I love them in Sarah's cushion.

Well done to all my students and thanks so much for being my guinea pigs.
I can't wait for the next class now!!

22 comments:

  1. Oh well done to you and the 'students' - it looks like a real success for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The class looks brilliant. Congratulations on a successful launch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun! Lovely pillows... wish I could take a cool class like this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fun time! I'm sure you're a great teacher and your students are very grateful for the lessons learned. Wins all around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great creations all round there, glad it went so well for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done to all the guinea pigs, and the trainers! Looks like great fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it all went well Jo! The cushions are all lovely but I think my favourite is the last vintagey looking one. Love your log cabin quilt hanging in the background too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does everyone bring their own sewing machine?:)

    What did you make?:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like everyone had a fun productive time with great results!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on a successful start, I'm glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like you all had fun - well done on the first class

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like it went really well with great finished cushions. Well done. Here's to lots more. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Jo! The cushions are gorgeous and looks like a good time was had by all. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that photo of you and Sarah - shame on you for saying it was posed it looked so natural, you two are always laughing together x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how the same pattern produces different outcomes depending on the fabrics chosen - it never ceases to make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  17. great class!!!! I´d love to be there too!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. congrats Jo - i start teaching at the local community centre next term (i also had a gentle intro into teaching with friends round at my house) - and your log cabin pillow is a great project - how ethical is it to snaffle your idea for my class?????

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the cushions! They all turned out so nicely and with those stitches, just wonderfull. Good job on teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks like a fun class!! I love how each cushion was made in such different colour combos. All of them are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. what fun and what gorgeous cushions! Glad you enjoyed it, Jo. What are you teaching next??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jo! Sorry I have left it so long to leave a comment. Just wanted to say I had a great time at your class - you made it such a joy. You are a natural at teaching and made everything clear and simple. I'm sure your other classes will just be as successful! p.s. I think our "staged" photo looks great - really makes me giggle!:D
    Lots of love. xx

    ReplyDelete