Pages

Monday 2 July 2012

Peekaboo Quilt

I have been desperate to do something with my Porthole Blocks that I made with Lucie Summers at the  FQ Retreat ( I can't believe that was over a month ago now!). So here is my Peekaboo Quilt.
Lucie leaves a 1/4 inch seam around her 'holes' (block on the left) but I preferred the one I made where I top stitched close to the edge (block on the right). So I abandoned the first one to use in something else, and made another 5 blocks, each with somebody peeping out of the middle hole.
Well, I'm hoping it looks like at least a few of them are peeping out so as to justify the name! I like the look of the solids next to the prints, not something I do very often.
Here's some close-ups. This one features the gorgeous new Liberty Lifestyle fabric that I got a freebie of at the retreat. We will be stocking the Liberty Lifestyle cottons on our website and in the Edinburgh store as soon as they are available.
This little owl and the ladybird above are from Suzy Ultman's Critter Community line and the pink print above and the red print below are both from Darlene Zimmerman's Adventures with Alice.
I'm a bit disappointed with my machine quilting. I should have just hand quilted it but I was in a hurry to finish as I am going to give a workshop on this in the autumn and wanted the photo for the website and the quilt to hang in the studio. So I machine quilted in the ditch around the blocks and the border. But my stupid machine is so rubbish that it's just puckered all the borders. Hand quilting with coloured perle cotton has helped a bit, but I really do need to upgrade my machine!
I used more Adventure's with Alice on the border, I think it's sweet 'Toytown' style works really well on a child's quilt. That lovely vintage bluey-greeny-yellow fabric used to be my colleague Sarah's old maternity blouse. I must have stared at it lustfully so often that when she had finished with it she cut it in two and gave me half! Thanks Sarah :)
I found an old vintage sheet that belonged to my Grandad to use for the back.
Overall I think it would make a really sweet cot quilt or wall hanging for a child's room. I really enjoy using Lu's technique and she was very kind and generous when she said she didn't mind me giving a workshop in it. It's really adaptable and I have lots more ideas about how I would like to use it in future quilts. 
One more thing, I discovered a wonderful new blog/website recently called Bustle and Sew. Helen produces an e-magazine every month as well as countless newsletters each one bursting with free patterns and advice about embroidery, patchwork and sewing. I am truly staggered by the quality and quantity of her output! And in this month's magazine she has featured me as her blog of the month, thanks Helen!

25 comments:

  1. Just love how that looks Jo! A beautiful child's quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of the portholes :-) And blog of the month - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great portholes - I love the placement of your inner circles.
    Gorgeous xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Love the peeking Matryoshka doll especially. I've been trying to find the time to work on my Liberty portholes ever since retreat, but it's alarming how time gets away from you, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just great Jo! Yay blog'o'the month too! Bustle and Sew is lovely, thanks for the headsup ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. just love the bits of vintage and clothing in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a smashing design, its really attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it would make an adorable baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun wee quilt, love all the centres

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt Jo! Sweet little characters peeping out! Some of your embroideries would look great in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ireally like this, it looks great. Wish I'd been there to learn Lucie's technique!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is such an adorable quilt for a baby!! I'd love one in big grown up colours for my bed - I'd need to learn the technique, though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a wonderful quilt - perfect for a little one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a beautiful quilt, so vintage looking, but also funky and modern, really love the colours as well........

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ultra fab. I particularly like the pink and blue block with the owl. It looks like something I might like to have a go at sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea - is the technique described anywhere on Lu blog or anything - for those of us a bit too far from London for the retreat...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable - made only better by having your little embroideries in the portholes! Or a tree with portholes are your little animals peeping out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is adorable! I am going to put it on my list of future quilts.

    ReplyDelete