Pages

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Spool Block Mini Quilt

This spool block is part of my Modern Patchwork Techniques 2 evening class. It's probably the easiest week of the course.
I made a block as an initial sample, then another in the class, and then we did the course again a few months back and I made another.
And I thought, if I just make one more I could have a lovely little mini quilt...
... but I really shouldn't because next time I do the class I will have to make another sample...
...but that's not so bad because I love making them! They are great for using up scraps and preserving those special selvedges from much loved fabrics.
So I made one more, and sewed them together and machine quilted with wavy lines.
I didn't know what to use for a binding, until I thought of joining selvedges together to make one! I've never done this before, and it wouldn't be for every quilt, but I really like the effect here. And do you see what I used to make the corner hangers? I thought it was quite funny to use the paper clip fabric!
The 'thread' on these spools seemed to be crying out for real thread! So I got out my 'Potty of Perles' (I keep my perle cottons in an old chamber pot that belonged to my mum!) and chose quite a few.
Then went slightly crazy with the hand quilting! I love this 'kantha style' look and once I start stitching I find it hard to know when to stop!
As I want to start a new, follow-on, patchwork class for the Autumn and therefore may rest the MPT classes till the Spring, I thought I might use up my samples to make more mini quilts that I could put up for sale at out Scottish Modern Quilt Exhibition in August. So expect a few more of these popping up here in the near future.
Don't forget, there is still time to enter my embroidery giveaway! You have till midnight tomorrow!

11 comments:

  1. Oh good, you've just given me an idea...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are quite a talent lady...you have a style all your own but you aren't predictable. When I first see a thumbnail photo of yours at the top of my dashboard I'm always like....LOVE IT...but I don't always realize it's your blog until I look more closely...then I shake my head cause you did it again...you impressed me so!:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely mini and I like the use of the selvedges. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blocks those, and so ideally suited to selvages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful mini - love the handstitching and your clever use of the selvedges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look lovely Jo. Been thinking what to do with mine. Might turn it into a wee cushion x

    ReplyDelete