Pages

Tuesday 14 September 2010

Babushkas in a basket


Here is a nice little project that kept me busy on Sunday afternoon. 3 little patchwork matryoshka dollies.
They look a bit sleepy, don't they? Lets find them somewhere nice to have a nap.
A nice felt basket with a snuggly mattress. I think they need a bit more comforting though.
A pretty blanket for each of them. Let's wrap them up and put them to bed.
That's better!
Oh, I have had such fun playing with these little lovelies and their carry cot! But they are not for me (sigh), they are a birthday present for my great neice (I know, how old does that make me sound?!), Olivia, who will be 3 in a couple of weeks time.
This book arrived at the shop last week and it didn't even make it on to the shelves, it went straight in my handbag! I am naughty, I really should try and sell stuff in my shop, not just take it home!
But it had fold out patterns... The little russian dolls don't look that sweet on the front of the book (I am a bit fussy) but when I looked inside and saw that the pattern included a bed, mattress and blankets I just couldn't resist making it!
 I think I have improved the dollies by making them with all printed fabric and adding a head scarf (I think the ones in the book look a bit like teletubbies!).
It was great to get a chance to play around with some of the new fabric I have bought recently. And braids too!
Do you like my lovely new Greengate ironing board cover? Ooops! more stock finding it's way home with me!

14 comments:

  1. I think your niece will love these, the blankets and beds are such a sweet idea - and your adaptations really work.
    I suspect I'd be dreadful if I had access to such fabulous stock!
    Blocks completed and should be posted tomorrow. I really enjoyed doing them.
    Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo, the little dolls are fantastic, the perfect present for a 3 year old..I have 6 great nieces and nephews, but I do not let them call me great Aunt !

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are sooo cute! She's going to love you. They look like little tortalini all lined up in bed! Very nice fabrics too. What a lovely looking book that is and you're right about the teletubby look. Very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic and I can see them being played with over and over again! I keep saying it but everything you make comes out fab!! Much nicer than on the cover!! Love your greengate ironing cover too. If I had your shop I would also take half of it home with me so you are not alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, they are gorgeous!
    I love the fabric with the birdies.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Oh my I'm so in love with the dolls!
    And the ironing board cover toooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. These remind me of all the little ladies at church in North Dakota. All of them with their Babuska's on. Make me home sick just for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm over 50 and I want these!!:) You are one rockin' Great Aunt!;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Babushkas! Super cute with the little basket and blankies. How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Because I like your blog so much there is a little surprise for you on my blog. I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't they sweet and just perfect for a 3 year old. The dolls on the book cover certainly remind me of teletubbies too. Uh oh

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really sweet dolls! That book looks like so much fun!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am madly in love with your blog. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Such a creative and beautiful place!
    The doll you made for the Brazilian Babies project is simply stunning.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete