Pages

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Catching up in the sewing room

 Remember the Patchwork Box Cushions I made for my shop a few months back? Well they all sold really quickly and I even managed to get a couple of commissions to make more of them, but to bespoke dimensions.
 
 These 2 are for 'Curtain Clare' who used to make the curtains and blinds for all my shop customers (I have withdrawn this service since our business shrunk earlier this year, and just put any the customers straight on to Clare now). Clare very kindly gives me all her remnants (I am SO lucky!). Lots of the remnants went into these 2 cushions for her garden seats.
Yes, I know they are a bit too nice for the garden but Clare promises to take them in again before it rains! This week another customer has asked me to make some for her garden bench so I think I have hit a bit of a niche here. I am getting more pads made up from the amazing Feather Company, so that gives me a bit of breathing room before starting more.





Friends of ours were getting their cute little boy Tom christened a few weeks back (he really is the cutest baby/toddler ever!) and I managed to get this hexie football finished for a gift. A few months back these were all the rage on the blogs with both Catherine from the Sewing Attic and Lynne from Lily's Quilts making them in the same week. I still had some hexagons left over from the Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt I finished last year, and with some help via email from Lynne, I worked out how to make them in to a ball!
It was a lovely little 'pick me up' hand sewing project.
I embroidered a wee name on one of the hexagons and Tom gave me a big cheeky smile when he opened the parcel!

Talking of handmade gifts, I made a whole load last Christmas from the excellent 'Last Minute Patchwork and Quilting Gifts' book from Purl Soho. Becky from the Patchwork Posse blog has had this as her featured book for August. Every month she chooses a new book and then has a Focus Friday when she or a guest reviews projects from the book. Becky very kindly asked me to contribute a review last week and I somehow managed to fit it in ( really struggling to keep up at the moment, but this was fun stuff!). You can read it here if you are at all interested!

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cushions! Love all the stuff you make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, a long one of those cushions would look fantastic on my garden bench!!! Maybe next year since I think we've had summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The box cushions are gorgeous Jo. I made one of the hexegan balls a couple of months ago for my youngest but her big brother is constantly kicking it about the house and she does not get a look in !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little elephant blanket and tassle you added to the patchwork gift! These cushions are super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cushions Jo! I can see why they are proving popular ad you are getting orders for them. Didn't your ball turn out well especially since you didn't have instructions. Is it all hand sewn? Have just checked out your book review. Sounds like a great book!I like crochet hook roll and have now got ideas to make my Mum one for her knitting needles for Christmas. I made a similar roll for my eldest daughters 'gel pens' a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your box cushions are fantastic. I'm sure wee Tom is going to love his ball - I've had a mental note to make one too, but I need to get caught up with lots of other stuff first. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cushions...They would really decorate any room so nicely!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cushions! And the ball is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I just found your blog and it is full of so beautiful things! I love patchwork, crochet, knitting etc. so I enjoyed very much!
    Best wishes from Crete: Teje

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a new granddaughter and would love to make a fabric ball for her. Do you have a pattern or a tutorial? It would make a great Christmas present for her! My e-mail is:
    dunesmom@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete