Pages

Thursday 4 August 2011

Our New Craft Studio

I thought you would like to see some photos of our completed Bearpaw Craft Studio.
We didn't actually need to do too much to the room itself, but we did (when I say 'we' I actually mean my DH Jonathan!) put a small kitchen in a store cupboard and totally transformed our toilet, which used to have big holes in the walls! And built this splendid work table.
Do you like the bunting I made from old Jane Churchill pattern books? 10 metres worth!
These photos were taken just before our launch on Sunday. I had laid out all the projects around the room with an information label beside them, and also yellow tickets, corresponding in number to the number of places left in the class. If a customer wanted to book a class they just took the ticket up to the till and paid for it and filled in a booking form. That way we didn't overbook any classes during the launch (my ingenius idea, of which I am quite proud!).
You can see in to the little kitchen in this photo. You can also see the embroidered hoop that Fiona Poppy made me for the Brit Quilt Swap, hanging to the right of the door. The crocheted granny square blanket on the corner of the table is one I have been working on for the class. I will try to get some better, outside photos of this soon, and it is also a WIP. Hanging on the walls are some of my old quilts, just to provide some colour and inspiration. Plus some of you may recognise the Christmas Star Quilt I made with the Quick Christmas Bee at the end of last year.
But the log cabin hanging on the partition to the right of this photo is a new cot-sized quilt I have made for the Beginners Patchwork and Quilting evening class I am starting in September. It looks much better close up, I will get some photos soon, if it actually stops raining in the near future!!
If you don't recognise the projects around the room, these will be for the classes my colleagues, Clare and Julia, are taking. They are tackling decoupage, Roman blinds, bunting, fabric noticeboards and paint transformations, amongst others.
Once the classes start at the end of August we will clear all the projects away and make room for the students!

Right. Enough about my craft classes now. We will be back to other craft projects for the next post (yes I have been tackling at least one!).

19 comments:

  1. It all looks lovely Jo!
    Wishing you all the best in your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jo, it looks fabulous! Gosh, I could quite happily move in and live there. It's got a kitchen and everything!! I'm glad to hear people were booking - really, how could they not when they see what they could be making? Your Christmas stars looks awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heheh...are Clare and Julia taking those classes or teaching those classes?!:)

    I am so jealous...the room looks great and kudos to Jonathan for the lovely kichenette and fixed up bathroom!

    I wish you all the best in this new exciting stage in your life....the chance to craft and share with others...awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your studio is fantastic! So inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perfect, and you deserve to be fully subscribed, or there is no justice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful Jo. Now I'm off to check the classes you are running to see if I can come and play in your new space

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your studio and projects look fantastic!
    Very organized with the whole ticket/pay to book idea!
    I wish I could take a bunch of your classes - your Christmas Star quilt has always been one of my favorites - the Log Cabin quilt looks great too!
    Rats being all the way in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous!! I can really see now how busy you've been making stuff for class samples and for student inspiration. Good to hear your launch went well and the classes are filling up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an inspirational room Jo! And your ticketing idea was indeed ingenious. Enjoy sharing the creative love! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great room. How could anyone fail to be inspired by it? Good luck with the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great, I'm sure it will be a huge success :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jo, All your hard work has paid off, it looks so inviting. I'm glad to hear people were booking, just wish I was closer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely studio space. Well done to all involved.

    That was an inspired way to keep track of the class numbers! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely workspace - I am sure it will see much creativity in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Jo, it looks like heaven! Can I come and stay for my holidays?

    I hope you are full to the gills/tills with eager crafters ... it just ooozes creativity ... lovin that bunting too ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pictures of the workshop. Its a pity you are so far away. Also would like to thank you for suggesting Claire Youngs bag book. I ordered it from Amazon last week and it has just arrived. Its really good.

    ReplyDelete