Pages

Friday 31 December 2010

Christmas present update and a hoop arrives finally!

Well, where have the last 2 weeks gone?!
I had great plans for a lovely 'Happy Christmas' post with a special Christmas tree pincushion I had made. But I always forget how unbelievably frantic the last few days before Christmas are, and this year was even worse with everybody Christmas shopping so late because of all the bad weather. And then once Christmas actually comes there is no time at all! So it will have to wait till next year...
 
So instead we will catch up on all the presents I managed to finish in time (and some I did not!). Here is a sweet pair of crocheted slippers for my colleague Sarah's baby, Rebecca. They were easy and quick to do and would make a lovely new baby present.
And here is a little ballet cardigan I crocheted for my great niece Olivia. This was the one I didn't quite finish in time. First of all I ran out of wool. It is a beautiful Rowan silk wool that my sister and I had bought in a sale at Liberty's a few years back. They were selling them off in bags so Jane and I bought one between us. Luckily Jane still had some and as I managed to cram in a trip to visit my folks the week before Christmas, I planned to finish the cardigan while I was at my sisters. However I nasty cold slowed me down (along with my usual 'over optimistic' problem!) and I had to leave Jane to finish the ties and sew the sleeves and side seams together. Thanks Jane!
Here is 3 year old Olivia wearing her cardi on Christmas day. Isn't she gorgeous? Both these patterns came from 'Crochet In No Time', the same book I used for the gloves I made a few weeks back. I am currently on my 6th pair of gloves from that pattern. My sister, sister-in-law and best friend all received gloves for Christmas, and I am currently working on a pair for a birthday present. I really love making them!
Here is the finished hexagon ball for Olivia's brother, Oscar. This is my second attempt at this patchwork ball and it really is a lovely little project. This time I fussy cut some of the hexies out of fun fabrics to make it a bit more interesting for a little one.
I also put a bell inside but it is rather deadened by the stuffing!

I was also lucky enough to receive some handmade goods myself this Christmas, my sister crocheted me a very pretty scarf and my best friend, Liz, made me a beautiful Christmas bunting! Sorry, no photos, I have not been organised enough :(

And then yesterday I received an international pacakge through the post, all the way from India!
It was my hoop from the Scrappy (Hoops) - A Modern Swap, sent by Shruti of 13 Woodhouse Road blog. It took over 5 weeks to get here!
 Here is a close up of the lovely fabrics Shruti used. And look at all the lovely goodies she sent too!
Thanks so much Shruti!
I am so pleased to finally receive this before the year ends.

And so here we are on the eve of 2011. I hope you all have a great New Year (though some of you will have had your's already!), and here is something to look forward to in the New Year...

... my next post will be my 100th post and I am planning a BIG GIVEAWAY!! Keep your eyes peeled!

6 comments:

  1. Blimey, you made so many lovely things. Your family are very lucky to receive such fabulous gifts.
    I hope you have a wonderful New Year.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my gloves, so thank you Jo, and well done for finding the time to make so many lovely gifts for everyone. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You been terribly productive again, putting us all to shame. Lovely things Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes I know what you mean about the Christmas rush. I too planned a Christmas postthat just never eventuated. You made some lovely handmade presents though. Each and everyone of them is beautiful. Good idea to put the bell inside the hexie ball and I love the fussy cut hexagons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many pretty things. Have a happy and healthy 2011.

    ReplyDelete