Pages

Friday 18 August 2017

Tendrils quilt



It's a long time since I made a quilt with Kaffe Fassett fabric and I had forgotten what an uplifting joyful experience it can be!

This quilt was destined for the issue of Today's Quilter that coincides with Festival of Quilts so it always need to be a bit of a showstopper. And what better fabric than the Kaffe Fassett Collective to obtain that effect!


As you can see it made the cover, as well as the magazine exhibition stand (see my last post for a photo!).


I've been playing around with the idea of appliqueing leaves over patchwork for a while now and had already made this mini with leaves and stems sewn by hand. But that wasn't going to work for me (and my dodgy hands) for a whole quilt.


So this is when I developed my Tendrils Technique that I have been using on a smaller scale for pouches recently. It's what I demonstrated on the Aurifil stand at FOQ (you can still watch that here).

I basically created a patchwork brick wall with the Kaffe fabric and then let the leaves climb up it!


As I'd chosen a mixture of warm and cool fabrics from the range (by Free Spirit) I thought it would look good with a 'temperature' colour wash.


Here's a shot from the magazine. I love how the leaves seem to grow out of the carpet here.


I quilted it with a trailing feather overall FMQ pattern in a neutral shade of Aurifil 50wt. It is so busy that I didn't need the quilting to show up too much, but I love the texture that a feather pattern gives.

I made a mistake with the dimensions and it ended up bigger than I planned at 80 inches. I was annoyed at the time but it actually fits my bed perfectly so I think this may be my new bed quilt for the winter. It is certainly one of my all time favourites already!

9 comments:

  1. treated myself yo the magazine, do not buy them very often now but loved your quilt on the front and the extra supplement might help with my quilting! Great to meet you at FOQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply stunning. You are such an inspiring artist, i will need to get a copy of this next week at the supermarket. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is amazing! Colours are so fantastic and the design with the leaves so beautiful! This is my favourite! I haven't sewn for few months and don't know when can because there is a brake in my back. One day when I can sew again, this would be great, happy project. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it, love it, love it! Will we see it at The Retreat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tendrils quilt. For me, I love basic piecing HST or 9 patches or straight patchwork. And I love that your added hand applique on top of it. You are so clever. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look at a lot of blogs but rarely comment. That said, I can't stop myself from expressing how striking your quilt is! Your eye for the "color wash" just blows me away. You've captured in fabric the beauty of how life and nature continue to grow towards the light--lighter in spirit, in laughter, in love of the familiar and familial. Yes, I see all that! *Exquisite*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a wonderful comment! Made me day! x

      Delete
  7. Fabulous! I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete